Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 7/23/13 Moves -- Inge DFA'd, Grilli on DL, Black Recalle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 pm 

Inge could take a minor league assignment, keep in shape at Indy and get called up in Sept. I wouldn't object to that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Inge could take a minor league assignment, keep in shape at Indy and get called up in Sept. I wouldn't object to that.

Do you really think that at this point of his career he would go to the minors though?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am 

Superb news to come home to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:03 am 

Animal wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Do you really think that at this point of his career he would go to the minors though?

Depends on what his wife and kids are like at home.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:50 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
FWIW, Twitter saying that Inge went to Pirates management last week and told them not to hesitate to release him if they needed a roster spot.

To be fair, after seeing the full quotes, just saying this is taking it a bit out of context. The rest of that quote as reported by Biertempfel was “If they weren't going to use me, I wouldn't be happy anyway. I love being around the guys, but I love playing more than anything.” And he later said "For whatever reasons — probably good reasons, meaning everyone else was producing — my at-bats were insignificant. There were times I went a week and a half without seeing the field, and that's tough to do.”

So in summary, he basically just gave the usual spiel that most under-performing recent FA acquisitions/bench players do when ties are cut with them ... "nothing against the team, but if I'm not getting regular playing time, I'd rather go somewhere else." Which is fine on Inge's part, he's welcome to think that way. But while he admitted to being awful, it was more of just the usual comments a player wanting to go elsewhere than than Inge heroically offering to step down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:04 am 

Yeah that was off David Todd's twitter at like 6:30. Didn't wind up reading Biertempfl's follow-up. Should have done so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 am 

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
FWIW, Twitter saying that Inge went to Pirates management last week and told them not to hesitate to release him if they needed a roster spot.

To be fair, after seeing the full quotes, just saying this is taking it a bit out of context. The rest of that quote as reported by Biertempfel was “If they weren't going to use me, I wouldn't be happy anyway. I love being around the guys, but I love playing more than anything.” And he later said "For whatever reasons — probably good reasons, meaning everyone else was producing — my at-bats were insignificant. There were times I went a week and a half without seeing the field, and that's tough to do.”

So in summary, he basically just gave the usual spiel that most under-performing recent FA acquisitions/bench players do when ties are cut with them ... "nothing against the team, but if I'm not getting regular playing time, I'd rather go somewhere else." Which is fine on Inge's part, he's welcome to think that way. But while he admitted to being awful, it was more of just the usual comments a player wanting to go elsewhere than than Inge heroically offering to step down.

The full quote:
“I told them, ‘If you really think I'm not good enough anymore and you can find someone to help you, go for it,' ” Inge said. “If they weren't going to use me, I wouldn't be happy anyway. I love being around the guys, but I love playing more than anything."

I disagree with your assessment. Strongly. That's a far cry from the "usual spiel" uttered by the "Play Me Or Trade Me" whiners. There's nothing in what Biertempfl wrote which suggests that he was demanding - as you put it - "regular playing time.". That was not the rant of a disgruntled athlete who has an overinflated view of his worth. Not even close.

Those guys have no sense of team; it is all about the I. Inge could've stomped off and pouted but stuck around to talk to his teammates to wish them well and, by all accounts, spent a lot of time with Alvarez before taking off.

Yeah, I get that Inge was the whipping boy because of his numbers - and they were bad. But he was the last roster spot. Which means about 3 - 5 plate appearanes per week. He was still a superior defender. A consummate teammate - as acknowledged by former teammates.

While some may "rejoice" when they get home and receive the news of a player like Inge losing his job and perhaps seeing the end of his career, I don't fall into that category. I reserve that vitriol for the "It's All About Me" players. And I'll maintain that Inge falls well outside that mark.

So.... who's next? McKenry? Harrison? Who gets to be the target of fan derision and the new whipping boy for what is wrong with the team? Meanwhile, the guys who are much more key to winning - Sanchez, Jones, Tabata, Snider, Walker - aren't exactly tearing it up. Indeed, I could make a strong argument that a couple of them have underperformed more in relation to their expectations than Inge. If DeJesus is promoted, how much impact will he have in 3 to 5 ABs per week? Compare that to what Walker can do and then ask yourself - whose disappointing performance is having a bigger drag effect on this team?

I'm fine with cutting him loose. It had to be done and was probably overdue. He was not producing on the field but, just like playing Mercer or Barmes, I see it for what impact it will have in the end. Marginal at best. Very marginal. Replacing Inge with Harrison, Presley, DeJesus or whomever resides in Indy will not make or break this team. It's going to come down to whether Walker, Jones, Sanchez, Snider and Tabata produce to expectation or potential. If not, Inge's presence or absence isn't going to amount to a hill of beans. This season won't rest on the shoulders of whoever occupies the 25th roster spot.

As you contemplate that, pour yourself a glass of your favorite beverage and celebrate that Inge is gone.

Last edited by No. 9 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:18 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'm not celebrating Inge getting cut.

But, just stating for the record - I would take terrible human Ryan Braun on my baseball team over good-guy Brandon Inge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:32 am 

No. 9 wrote:
I disagree with your assessment. Strongly. ...

Not sure how you manged to make so many speculations about my intent and views based on what little I said about the Inge quotes. As I said, I don't have anything against him despite that it was an awful signing at the time which is more the FO, or what he said after the DFA. I was just showing the rest of the quote because regardless of how you feel about it, it is different than the original short quip that he realized he was a liability and went to the team asking to be replaced to make the team better. Doesn't mean he was bitter, a poor teammate, a "play or trade me" scenario, etc. He just made comments similar to a million players that get DFA'd for their performance when they're brought in for a bench role, with the "it was hard to play so seldom, if that continues think I'd rather go elsewhere in the regard" comments. Those do happen all the time. As for the rest of your comments, no I am not "rejoicing" his loss or am I arguing that the 25th man isn't largely irrelevant.