Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gregory Polanco not overwhelmed first game in AA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 am 

Goes 3-5 with 2 RBI's in Altoona's 8-4 victory over Trenton.

Jarek Cunningham is going off his last 10 games - 9-25, 5 HR's, 10 BB, 3 SB's.

Post subject: Re: Gregory Polanco not overwhelmed first game in AA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:39 am 

Hope Gregory makes it to Indy in September and from there, who knows. Maybe he will be our new right fielder next year!! We can hope.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:12 pm 

Heading to Curve game this evening. Anxious to see Polanco. Kingham also getting his first AA start tonight. Will give game report as long as I am not overwhelmed by the urge to partake in too many adult beverages at the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:17 pm 

clueless wrote:
Heading to Curve game this evening. Anxious to see Polanco. Kingham also getting his first AA start tonight. Will give game report as long as I am not overwhelmed by the urge to partake in too many adult beverages at the game.

Kingham with a good effort, per box score - 5 2/3 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 7 K's, 0 R's.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:00 pm 

Kingham was hitting 92 on a regular basis on the stadium gun. He topped out at 95 in the third inning. They pulled him after 87 pitches, and at that point in the game he really hadn't struggled. He only got in trouble in the first inning, and a very good defensive play by Santos at third got him out of the jam. He didn't throw many off speed pitches, but when he did he was able to throw them for strikes. I only mention this because many of the pitchers I have watched over the years in Altoona have not been able to do that.

Polanco, surprisingly is playing CF. I expected him to be playing one of the corner outfield positions. He didn't have any hits, but had some quality at bats. The most notable thing, is I didn't see a swing at a bad pitch in any of his four at bats. He appears to have very good plate discipline. Worked a walk in one at bat after being behind 0-2. He showed good speed getting to first out of the box, and had a no contest stolen base. He will get to showcase that speed in the spacious CF at PNG Field. Surprised at how big he is. He is listed at 6'4 and he looks it.

The hitters of the game were Alex Dickerson (two Doubles that were both smoked) and Gift (who somehow one hopped one off the 405 sign in dead CF). Defensive play of the game was by Mel Rojas JR. He made a perfect throw to the plate to get a runner trying to score from second with two outs. Myself and the few people around felt there was no way he was going to get the guy at home.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:54 am 
 WWW  Profile

clueless wrote:
Polanco, surprisingly is playing CF. I expected him to be playing one of the corner outfield positions. He didn't have any hits, but had some quality at bats. The most notable thing, is I didn't see a swing at a bad pitch in any of his four at bats. He appears to have very good plate discipline. Worked a walk in one at bat after being behind 0-2. He showed good speed getting to first out of the box, and had a no contest stolen base. He will get to showcase that speed in the spacious CF at PNG Field. Surprised at how big he is. He is listed at 6'4 and he looks it.

Polanco was playing CF here in Bradenton all season. He had a bad problem with misjudging balls hit over his head. The CF is supposed to take control of the outfield and many times he and our right fielder, Willy Garcia, would end up not calling each other off of a fly ball and then drop it. It'll be interesting to see if that happens again. Not a great arm for a CF either. I don't think he learned the phrase "cut off man" while here so hopefully this will not be a short-lived trip to Altoona.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39 pm 

GP is being played at CF out of necessity and not projection, correct?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:06 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
GP is being played at CF out of necessity and not projection, correct?

I don't think he's likely to supplant Cutch but Tim Williams is pretty high on his abilities as a CF. I'd expect him to bump off of CF but he sounds like a guy who has that sort of capability if necessary. Wouldn't shock me if he bumps Marte to RF, mostly because Marte's arm plays so well there. Most have graded Polanco's arm as a present 50 which isn't bad but isn't Marte level at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:09 pm 

I had been thinking the same as SA re: Polanco pushing Marte to RF. I also have a feeling that the Pirates organization feels more highly of McCutchen's defense than some of the outsiders who are always quick to point out that he's below average despite making multiple highlight reel plays a year. I don't think he's in trouble of being pushed out of CF but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:26 pm 

TheShark wrote:
I had been thinking the same as SA re: Polanco pushing Marte to RF. I also have a feeling that the Pirates organization feels more highly of McCutchen's defense than some of the outsiders who are always quick to point out that he's below average despite making multiple highlight reel plays a year. I don't think he's in trouble of being pushed out of CF but I could be wrong.

The main thing I'll say about McCutchen is that I think he gets dinged so much defensively because of his arm. He doesn't have an arm that saves/prevents runs or holds runners at their current base, as we've seen already with Marte. He's not a guy who kills you, like a Revere, Pierre, Morgan, or Damon, but I think his arm would play better in left than center given the ballpark he plays in.

I think the range and glove are outstanding and would be well-suited for PNC's LF, and I'd love to have Marte's arm in center. Cutch's arm is really the only aspect of his game that's in any way lacking. He seems to have ironed out his base stealing issues so far this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
TheShark wrote:

The main thing I'll say about McCutchen is that I think he gets dinged so much defensively because of his arm. He doesn't have an arm that saves/prevents runs or holds runners at their current base, as we've seen already with Marte. He's not a guy who kills you, like a Revere, Pierre, Morgan, or Damon, but I think his arm would play better in left than center given the ballpark he plays in.

I think the range and glove are outstanding and would be well-suited for PNC's LF, and I'd love to have Marte's arm in center. Cutch's arm is really the only aspect of his game that's in any way lacking. He seems to have ironed out his base stealing issues so far this year.

I don't think that Cutch's arm is at all weak, but I do think he has a problem finding the right release point.