Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates Qunicy Latimore traded to Indians
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 pm 
 WWW  Profile

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/base ... y-latimore

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

Post subject: Re: Pirates Qunicy Latimore traded to Indians
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 am 

Jeez, an MLB experienced starter for Q. Latimore? Hhhmm....Sound like a plan B.....Latimore just showed up in winter ball didn't he? Showcase gig?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Jeez, an MLB experienced starter for Q. Latimore? Hhhmm....Sound like a plan B.....Latimore just showed up in winter ball didn't he? Showcase gig?

He's got power and speed, but is horrible at drawing a walk and K's too much.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 am 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/baseball/indians/indians-trade-pitcher-jeanmar-gomez-to-pirates-for-of-quincy-latimore

Seems like a plan B for sure to eat some innings if all else fails. Namely KMac's shoulder acts up again and they fail to acquire another SP.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 am 

Well, the guy the Bucs acquired can't strike guys out, but at least he also gives up a lot of hits.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 pm 

he is at best our 8 pitcher maybe even 9th depending on irwin he is probly just AAA depth maybe fills in for the McCuthen role now that daniel is gone if anything.

Quincy was not gonna have a spot in AAA cause i assume Presley starts out in AAA add lambo and Sandy

Barrys Dopers wrote:
LetsGoMarauders wrote:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/baseball/indians/indians-trade-pitcher-jeanmar-gomez-to-pirates-for-of-quincy-latimore

Seems like a plan B for sure to eat some innings if all else fails. Namely KMac's shoulder acts up again and they fail to acquire another SP.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm 

BigdaddyK wrote:
he is at best our 8 pitcher maybe even 9th depending on irwin he is probly just AAA depth maybe fills in for the McCuthen role now that daniel is gone if anything.

Quincy was not gonna have a spot in AAA cause i assume Presley starts out in AAA add lambo and Sandy

Barrys Dopers wrote:
LetsGoMarauders wrote:

Gomez is out of options so he would need to be DFA'd to go to AAA. That is almost certainly what will happen. I'm not sure why they felt the need to do this unless NH remembers liking him when they signed him forever ago. Cleveland was going to DFA him anyway. NH certainly has a thing for sinkerballers now, it seems to have replaced his former love of high 90's guys with no control.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Gomez is out of options so he would need to be DFA'd to go to AAA. That is almost certainly what will happen. I'm not sure why they felt the need to do this unless NH remembers liking him when they signed him forever ago. Cleveland was going to DFA him anyway. NH certainly has a thing for sinkerballers now, it seems to have replaced his former love of high 90's guys with no control.

These are the ridiculous waste moves I just don't get, and one of many reasons I think NH and the gang should've been gone...The pitching this season may be a disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

These are the ridiculous waste moves I just don't get, and one of many reasons I think NH and the gang should've been gone...The pitching this season may be a disaster.

Oh, please, what is so ridiculous about this move? What did we give up in Latimore? Was Latimore really worth something more than what Gomez is now?

This reminds me of when the Pirates traded Todd Redmond for Tyler Yates in 2008, and it turned into a huge kerfuffle on this board and elsewhere for no good reason. Yeah, Yates did not pitch well for the Pirates, but who was he blocking? And what the heck has Redmond done since being traded? Mastered the art of pitching in AAA?

Seriously, people. We traded a guy who can't hit for a lottery ticket in Gomez. Where's the harm?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 pm 

Quote:
Seriously, people. We traded a guy who can't hit for a lottery ticket in Gomez. Where's the harm?

The harm is that we didn't get Felix Hernandez for Latimore, NH is a terrible GM. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:

The harm is that we didn't get Felix Hernandez for Latimore, NH is a terrible GM. :roll:

Yea...that's exactly what I was saying. Good pick up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm 

Willton wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Oh, please, what is so ridiculous about this move? What did we give up in Latimore? Was Latimore really worth something more than what Gomez is now?

This reminds me of when the Pirates traded Todd Redmond for Tyler Yates in 2008, and it turned into a huge kerfuffle on this board and elsewhere for no good reason. Yeah, Yates did not pitch well for the Pirates, but who was he blocking? And what the heck has Redmond done since being traded? Mastered the art of pitching in AAA?

No harm. But this GM consistently makes a bunch of these moves. This guy isn't a lottery ticket, he's a bum. If NH would spend as much time trying to make some creative trades for legitimate players maybe he'd have something.

For the record, AJ Burnett was a lottery ticket. Melancon is a lottery ticket. They had some success prior to acquisition. Gemini Gomez or whatever his name is, is awful. It's a clown move...and there are too many of these and not enough legit moves being made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
No harm. But this GM consistently makes a bunch of these moves. This guy isn't a lottery ticket, he's a bum. If NH would spend as much time trying to make some creative trades for legitimate players maybe he'd have something.

For the record, AJ Burnett was a lottery ticket. Melancon is a lottery ticket. They had some success prior to acquisition. Gemini Gomez or whatever his name is, is awful. It's a clown move...and there are too many of these and not enough legit moves being made.

"Clown move"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Only clowns attempt to get emergency pitching depth? Every team makes moves like this. But if you think the Pirates make too many of them, please feel free to list the ones that they have made this off season.

As Charlie indicates at Bucs Dugout, "[t]his move may reflect the Pirates' need to acquire more depth in the rotation now that the Francisco Liriano deal is in limbo and Rick VandenHurk has departed for Korea, but unless Gomez dramatically improves, the Pirates would have to be in pretty big trouble to consider starting him." And that's what Gomez is: disaster insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Quote:

He turned down the Latimore for King Felix trade because Felix makes too much money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:27 pm 

This trade probably wouldn't even show up on my list of things that make me believe that NH is a bad GM and should be fired.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
This trade probably wouldn't even show up on my list of things that make me believe that NH is a bad GM and should be fired.

Exactly. It's largely a non-event.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:00 pm 

Willton wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

"Clown move"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Only clowns attempt to get emergency pitching depth? Every team makes moves like this. But if you think the Pirates make too many of them, please feel free to list the ones that they have made this off season.

As Charlie indicates at Bucs Dugout, "[t]his move may reflect the Pirates' need to acquire more depth in the rotation now that the Francisco Liriano deal is in limbo and Rick VandenHurk has departed for Korea, but unless Gomez dramatically improves, the Pirates would have to be in pretty big trouble to consider starting him." And that's what Gomez is: disaster insurance.

Please feel free to list the creative trades NH has made in an offseason to pick up legitimate talent. Trading a "decent" prospect for someone another team is looking to move maybe due to salary or an overload at a certain position. Other than picking up Burnett he hasn't. But he constantly brings in "emergency" guys with little or no hope of performing well. Remember the other year he picked up Dana Eveland mid season and said he'd be an upgrade in our rotation then pitched him 4 innings(not well if I remember correctly) and then released him. There is no harm, as you say, but I've had enough of these moves. Hell, try some of your own AAA guys if we are in that big of an emergency.

Look, the Burnett pick up was a good move that turned in to a great move. The Liriano move had the same potential. But how about trying something more creative than combing the trash heap on a consistent basis for guys like Gomez. And if we were counting VandenHurk as a possibility, God help us!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm 

Willton wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Exactly. It's largely a non-event.

Nor is it at the top of my list, but it IS on my list. With a team at the Pirates talent level, you don't win by constantly going after these type of players...emergency or not. Maybe he is working on acquiring someone decent...and he better be because if Liriano doesn't come and/or Cole isn't a tremendous mid season call up this pitching staff could be in real trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Willton wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Please feel free to list the creative trades NH has made in an offseason to pick up legitimate talent. Trading a "decent" prospect for someone another team is looking to move maybe due to salary or an overload at a certain position. Other than picking up Burnett he hasn't. But he constantly brings in "emergency" guys with little or no hope of performing well. Remember the other year he picked up Dana Eveland mid season and said he'd be an upgrade in our rotation then pitched him 4 innings(not well if I remember correctly) and then released him. There is no harm, as you say, but I've had enough of these moves. Hell, try some of your own AAA guys if we are in that big of an emergency.

Look, the Burnett pick up was a good move that turned in to a great move. The Liriano move had the same potential. But how about trying something more creative than combing the trash heap on a consistent basis for guys like Gomez. And if we were counting VandenHurk as a possibility, God help us!

As they say, it takes two to tango. Huntington can't execute any "creative trades" without at least one willing partner from another team. The reason Burnett was available last year was because the Yankees were dying to get rid of him, and Burnett's no-trade clause did not limit a trade to Pittsburgh. The circumstances that presented the opportunity to attain Burnett were highly unusual. It's difficult ask for more trades like the Burnett trade when such opportunities rarely materialize.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am 

I'm not sure what the problem is here. It's a non-move. Who cares?

Quincy Latimore is a 24 year old AA player who CAN'T and NEVER WILL be a major league hitter. He's a non-prospect. In exchange you got a 24 year old pitcher already at the majors. Yes his numbers aren't good but for some reason he has something that got him to the majors. And aside from a select few super stars, at what age do most pitchers start to "get it".

Even of it doesn't work out ad you DFA him, who cares. Latimore was NEVER going to be on our Major league roster.