Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I feel really bad about that call on the Braves...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:05 am 

NOT

Post subject: Re: I feel really bad about that call on the Braves...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:15 am 

They have legit beef there. Who ever heard of the infield fly roll on a ball 225 feet from home plate? That was just an error and the Braves should of had the bases loaded with one out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:28 am 

No way was that 225 feet, but it was a bad call.

I turned the game on right after all the debris was thrown on the field. From that point on I have never rooted against a team so hard as I did last night.

First you have what happened in 92, then you have the tomohawk chop moaning thing which I hate, then you have these people embarassing themselves by acting in an uncivilized manner.

They are losers and I love that they were sent home to stew in their misery and embarassment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:57 am 

It was a bad call but it doesn't bother me.

Just like how I didn't feel bad for the Packers two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am 

The infielder had established position under the ball and that umpire had the right to use judgement and declare an infield fly. The fly ball doesn't have to come down in the infield.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:34 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
No way was that 225 feet, but it was a bad call.

I turned the game on right after all the debris was thrown on the field. From that point on I have never rooted against a team so hard as I did last night.

First you have what happened in 92, then you have the tomohawk chop moaning thing which I hate, then you have these people embarassing themselves by acting in an uncivilized manner.

They are losers and I love that they were sent home to stew in their misery and embarassment.

There is a new Junior League Hockey Team in Johnstown and they are named the Tomahawks. I was involved with the home opening weekend festivities and just about every break in the action the PA announcer and sound guy were setting off the music and starting the chop. I had flashbacks to 1991 and 1992 and how I despise that music, the chant, and the chop.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:21 pm 

I have never liked Chipper Jones, but I couldn't agree more with what he said about this new playoff system.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/05/chipper-jones-new-playoff-format/1615703/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:22 pm 

Well, as a traditionalist, I hate the ever-expanding playoffs in baseball. Well, all the sports, actually. I dislike wild cards intensely, but I kind of like this sudden-death game. It really puts the two wild cards at the mercy of a single game, and in the case of last night's game, at the mercy of the officiating crew. In the wild card era, this kind of game puts much more importance on winning the division. I much prefer the pressure of winning or going home, a la football or March Madness, so for me, this game is a welcome asterix to the season. Oh, and the O's won, so of course I feel better today.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:19 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
They have legit beef there. Who ever heard of the infield fly roll on a ball 225 feet from home plate? That was just an error and the Braves should of had the bases loaded with one out.

That call reinforces my belief that a one game playoff is the stupidest concept ever. Too many freak things can decide the outcome. I'd have no problem with a 3 game series but I hate the one game concept.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:15 pm 

Agree with MoTown. The Braves had a good season.. to not make it to a real playoff format is pretty silly. One of these years
a 98-100 win team will lose a one game playoff. It's dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:44 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

I have. I've seen it many times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:47 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

That call reinforces my belief that a one game playoff is the stupidest concept ever. Too many freak things can decide the outcome. I'd have no problem with a 3 game series but I hate the one game concept.

If you don't want to play in a single game playoff, win your division. The opportunity to play in a one game playoff to get a post season spot that you failed to earn after 162 games is something that you should be grateful for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:04 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

If you don't want to play in a single game playoff, win your division. The opportunity to play in a one game playoff to get a post season spot that you failed to earn after 162 games is something that you should be grateful for.

I've come around to this way of thinking. By having two wild card teams, they actual division winners get the advantage in that one of these two wild cards is going home veeeerrrrrry early. I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 am 

That call didn't lose them the game....the 3 errors did......including one by Larry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:23 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Agreed, I like this format that brings the emphasis back on winning the division.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:57 pm 

Disagree. It's easy to say to win your division, but what if you are in a division with a powerhouse team and the rest of the divisions suck. You could easily be the second best team in baseball and get screwed in the one game deal. Although I too like rewarding the division winners, this goes too far. I would love to see a five game wild card series, a 7 game division series, 7 game championship series and a 7 game World Series. And please don't tell me it can't be done. If they really wanted to make the playoffs legit, they could.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Disagree. It's easy to say to win your division, but what if you are in a division with a powerhouse team and the rest of the divisions suck. You could easily be the second best team in baseball and get screwed in the one game deal. Although I too like rewarding the division winners, this goes too far. I would love to see a five game wild card series, a 7 game division series, 7 game championship series and a 7 game World Series. And please don't tell me it can't be done. If they really wanted to make the playoffs legit, they could.

If they insist on expanding the playoffs so that a bunch of mediocre teams can "stay in it" and keep "fan interest", then they should go with the system BB is talking about. And shorten the regular season.

I'm not big on change so maybe that is why I don't like this system. I still would rather see 2 divisions and the winners go to the playoffs. I know...way too "old school", but that's me. Knowing that isn't going to happen then I would prefer the 1 wildcard system they had up until this year. That allows for the provision BB mentions about being in a tough division, etc. Not only does it eliminate this ridiculous all or nothing, contrived playoff game but it would return home field advantage to a normal set up. This year you get the 2-3 set up and if you lose two on the road then yes, you get the rest at home, but you are playing with your back against the wall. Hardly an advantage. And lastly it doesn't bring .500 teams into the playoff mix coming down to the last couple weeks. At .500 in a long season like baseball, you don't deserve to be in the playoff chase.

If you are going to have wild cards do it right. The Braves won 94 games. Only 3 teams had better records in all of baseball. They deserved more than a one game, all or nothing shot. They earned that much after 162 games. Of course Bud Selig is at the helm so I don't know why I'm surprised by this stupidity...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:31 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
If they insist on expanding the playoffs so that a bunch of mediocre teams can "stay in it" and keep "fan interest", then they should go with the system BB is talking about. And shorten the regular season.

I'm not big on change so maybe that is why I don't like this system. I still would rather see 2 divisions and the winners go to the playoffs. I know...way too "old school", but that's me. Knowing that isn't going to happen then I would prefer the 1 wildcard system they had up until this year. That allows for the provision BB mentions about being in a tough division, etc. Not only does it eliminate this ridiculous all or nothing, contrived playoff game but it would return home field advantage to a normal set up. This year you get the 2-3 set up and if you lose two on the road then yes, you get the rest at home, but you are playing with your back against the wall. Hardly an advantage. And lastly it doesn't bring .500 teams into the playoff mix coming down to the last couple weeks. At .500 in a long season like baseball, you don't deserve to be in the playoff chase.

If you are going to have wild cards do it right. The Braves won 94 games. Only 3 teams had better records in all of baseball. They deserved more than a one game, all or nothing shot. They earned that much after 162 games. Of course Bud Selig is at the helm so I don't know why I'm surprised by this stupidity...

Hear hear!

Of course they ain't shortening the season. Not unless everyone in baseball wants to start making less money.

While one of the things I love about baseball is the length of a 162 game season, I don't buy the Braves-won-94-games argument. The reason we have playoffs, as opposed to just awarding the title to the winningest team is that all the 94 wins does is get you entree into the playoffs. I know that a single game playoff is jarring, but three other teams faced the same challenge. And in the case of the Pirates, I would have loved to have gotten those stakes....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

The 1954 Yankees won 103 ballgames and finished 8 games behind the Indians. So great teams missing the playoffs has happened.

I would also argue that the 1 game play in has existed since the dawn of time in the case of certain ties. While the context of that situation has changed, it's hardly revolutionary. I have no issue with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 am 

Rochester wrote:
The 1954 Yankees won 103 ballgames and finished 8 games behind the Indians. So great teams missing the playoffs has happened.

I would also argue that the 1 game play in has existed since the dawn of time in the case of certain ties. While the context of that situation has changed, it's hardly revolutionary. I have no issue with it.

So, maybe I missed it, but you seem to be only one who came away a winner this season. What beer did your partner end up getting you?